I love yogurt. And I love homemade yogurt even more. It costs less, tastes better, and there are no additives or preservatives. You can make regular yogurt by omitting the last steps, greek yogurt, and cream cheese just by following these easy instructions.
You will need:
- Whole milk
- 1 T yogurt
- Coffee filter
1. Fill pot with whole milk.
This gets rid of any unwanted bacteria, and also gets the milk to the optimal temperature where the good bacteria can multiply.
3. Once milk is at boiling point remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Now it’s time to get the good bacteria.
6. Stir into warm milk thoroughly.
I use yogurt containers. Whatever you decide to use it needs to seal well and can not be made of metal.
8. Let sit in a warm place for up to 24 hours. It will thicken during this time.
9. Once time is up you can now add your fruit, honey, or jam depending on which flavour you would like and refrigerate. If you want greek or cream cheese continue to step 10.
10. Place a coffee filter or cheesecloth inside of a colander. Place the colander inside of a bowl.
12. Cover and refrigerate 12-48 hours while it strains. You can check on it to see if it is your desired consistency.
13. You now have greek yogurt! You can add any jam, fruit or sweetener you like. I added my homemade apple pie jam. The leftover drippings is whey, which you can save to add to baking recipes. Whey will keep for up to a week inside your fridge. For cream cheese continue to step 14.
14. Cream cheese will take a lot longer to thicken than yogurt. Continue straining inside your fridge for up to a week, checking every 24 hours.
That’s it! Simple, easy, and takes next to no prep time at all. It can be an extra $5 in your pocket just to take the time to do this rather than buying. Stay tuned for more money saving delicious recipes 🙂